December 8, 2011

A Day in the Life of a BU MBA

Post By:
Nishant Sharma

MBA, 2013
Nishant and his Integrated Project Team working on marketing their product, Mello Yello

6:25 AM – Alarm clock kicks me out of the bed and I grab my laptop. A good night sleep was a must before the long day ahead; it happens to be one of the busiest days of the first semester with interim presentations for the Integrated Project scheduled for tomorrow

6:30 AM – Log into team room booking system to grab a room. With presentation material submission due tonight there is a great rush to grab rooms with LCD projectors. Inform my team mates about the successful capture of a team room in the first email of the morning

7:00 AM – Register for my elective course for the spring semester. With more than 50 options for a single elective spot, the process to select one was hard over the past week.

7:30-8:30 AM – Work on my part of the presentation and create a script that I will practice later in the day with my team. Integrated project is the best part of first semester for me. It is an opportunity to put into practice all my learnings from the coursework. It is also tough as hundreds of hours of work have to be condensed into fifteen slides.

9:00 AM – Take the ‘T’ to school and discuss the progress of the presentation with my roommate

9:30- 10:30 AM – Meet with my team in the team room I reserved to integrate the individual sets of presentations and also make some tweaks

10:30 – 11:00 AM - Work on my individual portion of the presentation

11:30 – 12:30 PM – Catch my classmates in the graduate lounge and discuss the financial news and integrated project over the lunch

12:30 – 2:00 PM – Final lecture of the semester for Statistics. It was an awesome class and professor Shwartz was really awesome at engaging students even for what is supposed to be a theoretical class. I’ll miss all the candy experiments which we did as part of class learning. We fill out the evaluation forms for the course and the professor

2:30 – 3:30 PM – Spend some time in the graduate computer lab working on the financial part of the project and catching up on the news for the day.

4:00 – 5:00 PM – Attend Dean Freeman’s session on his vision for the school. He is a great leader and the school is destined for great growth under his inspired vision of academic and career services

5:00 -6:00 PM – Attend a case interview workshop organized by the consulting club

7:00 PM – Team gathers at the George Sherman Union (GSU) building to work further on the Integrated Project. The GSU is a great benefit of being part of a big private university…you can get out of routine locales and yet work efficiently

8:00 – 11:00 PM – Work on finalizing our presentation and practice at the Photonics building. With such a big campus, there is never a lack of good places to do academic stuff. Enjoy pizza for dinner with the team

11:30 PM – Team finalizes the presentation and completes the online submission. I head back home by hopping on the ‘T’

12:30 AM Catch up with the news back in India and crash into the bed.

Nishant Sharma is a 1st Year MS-MBA with experience in Information Technology and developing sustainable practices. Most recently he was spotted participating in Karaoke with his cohort. Follow @tweet_nishant on Twitter


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment