February 7, 2014

Breaking Convention Left and Right: A 1st Year's Perspective on the New Curriculum & Module System

There are all kinds of stereotypes floating around about MBA students. The most widely accepted is that we’re cutthroat: mercilessly competitive, money-driven, and power-hungry. When I was considering the decision to attend business school, I was a bit unsure about being included in a group labeled with these characteristics. I subscribed to the stereotype. I’ll never find a home with this type of people, I thought.

On my first tour of BU, a then-second-year assured me of the importance of community at the school. By the time I left, I was set – I geared up to build a home in Boston and couldn't have been more excited.

And then the day drew nearer. It was almost time to start networking (*gasp*) with the people I essentially would live and breathe with for the next two years. What would I think of them? What would they think of me?

My fears were assuaged quickly as I met my amazing classmates. One of the beautiful things about the Module system of curriculum is that it nearly forces you to befriend your classmates swiftly – teamwork starts immediately and study groups promptly form. Before I knew it, I was establishing close bonds with people who I had just met, but felt like I had known for years. The picture to the right is from a game at Fenway just a couple weeks into the semester, when I already considered these women family.
Beyond the Module curriculum, the Cohort system also works wonders for creating close connections. As a proud member of Cohort C, I can say that I adore each of my Cohort-mates; we all bring something unique and interesting to the table in class discussions. The picture to the left is from the inter-Cohort Halloween party, where Cohort C creatively costumed as the Boston ”T” party!
The University does a phenomenal job of creating a diverse class. The biggest takeaway for me after one semester of school is that, beyond statistics class and all-nighters, I have formed friendships that will last far beyond the two years spent together. The School of Management (and its library, team rooms, and grad lounge) truly has become my home.


Allison is a first year in Boston University’s Public and Nonprofit Program (PNP), and serves as the Communications Representative for the PNP Club. This summer, Allison traded her small-town Virginia roots for the hustle-and-bustle of the big city. Professionally, she is interested in public policy, specifically connecting and empowering Bostonians through innovation in the city’s processes. When she’s not at the School of Management, you can find her either at Fenway rooting for the Red Sox, sprawled out on Boston Common reading Dennis Lehane novels, or at the nearest tattoo parlor. 

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment